Moving can be one of the most stressful experiences that many people may have to go thru. Having the right systems in place takes off some of the worries and makes sure both sides of the deal are aware of the expectations.
The beauty of having a checklist is it provides a clear process, especially when you are dealing with dozens of tenants either moving in or out at any time. It also provides precise instructions to the tenants on the tasks they would need to complete prior to the move and helps the landlord remain organized and avoid unnecessary fees and charges to both parties.
Landlords may attach this checklist as a rider to the original lease agreement, making an efficient moving process.
Here is the move-in checklist that we can use:
- Print a copy of the lease and EPA’s.
- Review the list with the tenant.
- Have the tenants initial on each page and sign the last page of the lease.
- EPA pamphlet should be given to the tenant.
- Lead Warning Statement should be signed by the tenant.
- Checklist procedures should be given to the tenant, which include:
- Getting renters insurance
- Electricity and gas in their names
- Forwarding their mail
- Schedule the move-in walk-thru
- Two copies of the move-in walk-thru form.
- Conduct walk-thru with the tenant.
- Email condition documents to the tenants at the time of move-in.
One to two weeks before move-out:
- Schedule the prelim walk-thru of the unit.
- Cleaning checklist to be sent to the tenant.
- Reminders to be sent to the tenant for removal of possessions by 12:00 noon.
- Cleaning crew and handyman arrangement.
- Move-out inspection checklist to be signed.
- Walk-thru unit with the tenant.
- Email tenants any photos of the damage.
- Instructions to cleaning crew and handyman after tenant leaves.
Within 30 days of Move-out:
- Mail tenants their security deposit less any portion of damages.
Having this process and checklist in place will ensure that the landlord will receive the most money possible and deliver a home in the same condition as it was prior to tenancy.
RJ Pepino is Co-owner of Columbus Turnkey Houses alongside David Payerchin licensed Realtor with ERA Real Solutions Realty. Together they have bought and sold over 300 homes since 2005.
They offer investors a full-service turnkey real estate solution. Call today for a free consultation (614-285-3600) if you are looking for Columbus cash flow properties, Columbus wholesale properties, Columbus investment properties, Columbus real estate, Columbus turnkey houses is your premier source for Columbus investment properties.